Saturday, November 12, 2005

Some men keep mistresses, the basement peloton keep their old bikes. Drove my wife to work and took advantage of the trip to take my old karbo zaccheria for a ride (my Kastle is attached to the tacx). Pumped the tires and poured some singer sewing machine oil over the chain and away

It felt pretty funny, it's a very difference bike from what I am riding now. The shifting is on the down the down tube. I bought the frame in the late 1990s but the components a mix of 1988 shimano 600 from a previous bike. The cranks are 180mm Dura Ace. It weighs around 9 kilos.

I figured I would do a flat warm up, but turning on to the main road was a cyclist going up, so I turned to follow him. A tractor over took me with a thick cloud of smoke. I sprinted past it, and then the cyclist. I raced the tractor to the next intersection, where I knew he would turn. It was there, two k into the hill before i noticed the cyclist was sitting on my wheel. I was riding 48x22 up the grade to alberobello. I haven't done that since I bought the compact. The long cranks promote mashing on the big gears. I mashed. I have seen the cyclist out riding on my way to work, so I know he trains. He was on a pretty hot bike and might have been amused by my shifting, the cobwebs and the mashing. Until I dropped him half way up that is.

The 180s cranks are cool. They are certainly too big for me, but really rock when you're out of the saddle in a big gear. Descending with a 53x12 was fun also, haven't done that it a while either.

I didn't have a computer or a HRM, but I did the 40k route in exactly 80 minutes (30kmh) with 450-500m vertical. Not too bad considering how little riding I have been doing.

sud







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home