Saturday, April 10, 2004

My easter riding:
Saturday. The rain didn't come, sorry guys. It was windy and overcast but warm. I think about 16°.
I did 90km, 4 laps of a 22k circuit with a good long climb. The total vertical per lap is somewhere between 250m and 300 with a great view at the top. I will work on getting a GPS reading. Here is my progression (or degression)

   lap 1 avg speed 26.6
   lap 2 avg speed 26.4
   lap 3 avg speed 25.2
   lap 4 avg speed 24.1

Here's what i learned:
1. You need to eat enough while you ride. I bonked on the last climb, even though I ate two bananas at the beginning of the 3rd lap, I also ran out of water and lost about 2 kilos of fluids. On a 200k ride, or even 130k with big hills, staying carbed and hydrated is essential. I will add a second water bottle.

2. 36x23 is too harsh for long or repeat climbs. I felt like a hero on the first lap and was progressively sapped as I went along. On the last climb my legs were rubbery with lactic acid and I really didn't want to keep pushing that gear. I don't think I could have done a fifth lap today. I will try to add a 36x25 or 26 for our ride.

3. Cycling is a lot of work. Couldn't we just train for snooker and drink beer?

Sunday Drizzle turned to rain, I did 30k of flat riding (50 gain). Avg 30.4.
Monday Rain. Sleep. Food.
Sud

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home